Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Let's get this party started......

First order of business. Health. Oh joy! I have been on this struggle to get my sexy back for what seems like a century. I've been up and down the roller coaster for too long. I am dizzy from all the dips and turns. So enough is enough. My problem...was never not exercising or not eating well. I actually enjoy exercising quite a bit as long as it is fun. My problem was not doing both simultaenously and consistently. Consistency is key as cliche as that sounds. Boooooo to cliches but hey... it fits. This time I will jump on the back of consistency and ride it like cowgirl. LOL.

In order to motivate me in the challenge of consistency in exercise and eating well I have made three changes and have committed to them wholeheartedly.

1. I have signed up for a 5k in June which I intend to run/jog the entire way. It is certainly achievable.  I have paid my money so I will certainly be there come hell or high water. The run is called Color Me Rad in Philadelphia, PA. I will be running it with my sisters and some new sister friends that I have made over the last few months. So this should be fun! I started my 6 weeks to a 5k training program. And yesterday I managed to jog/walk 4 miles under 1 hour. I am hoping to cut that time down significantly but this program forces me to pace myself and not try to go Usain Bolt in a day. I will follow the program to a T. We shall see how it goes!

2.  Eating healthier. Over the last three weeks I have basically adopted a pescetarian/vegetarian eating style. I am not committing to it long term but I think it is a good start to a new eating style. Nothing too rigid just a bit more conscious clean eating. So far so good. It is not difficult at all. I definitely feel better. Cheers to the shrub eaters!

3 Juicing. My little sister Surayah introduced me to the Nutribullet and I love it! It is just $100 but aids in the whole juicing process. It has helped me fit in more healthier foods in my diet. I try to get in fruits, veggies and nuts in my smoothie. I have about 18 oz of fresh juice for breakfast everyday and I have been doing that for a few short weeks. It is such an easy way to get those good foods in your system and it definitely makes a huge difference.  

Why have I made only 3 goals? Well, because I have the wonderful habit of over commiting and diving into the deep end clearly knowing I only know how to paddle. It's not long before I end up calling for a lifeguard to save me. That lifeguard is usually a delectable sweet treat or two or three...basically one too many. I am NOT ashamed to admit that I have fallen into gluttony! LOL. You know you have too. Shoot! But what I have learned is not to bite off more than                              I can chew. <----another cliche (I guess they do come in handy.eh). Otherwise I will surely crash and burn. I am pretty charred right now and it kind of sucks Lol.

*Dusting shoulder off* I GOT THIS! Ain't no thang but a chicken wang!

Okay on a more serious note, I have been reading a lot of books about wellness/health. I have had reality slapped in my face with the struggles of some dear friends who are currently in the fight against cancer, diabetes,  high blood pressure and so much more and I truly believe that all of it is preventable.  I am inspired by the changes that they have made! You have to fight like your life depends on it.....because IT DOES. And so I am making myself accountable for the things that enter my body.  I am so over the fad diets and deprivation. Instead I am aiming towards a transformation beyond just a fab body on the outside. I want to be divalicious on the inside TOO!

2 comments:

  1. keep it up! Life - actually the life we wish we had, the pple we wish we are, the things we want are SO MUCH work to achieve it but it is achievable, and then when we achieve it we have to keep working at it to maintain it, and work even harder to improve it. I saw this from the daily love today ""Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it, you must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it. If you don't, you will leak away your innate contentment. It's easy enough to pray when you're in distress but continuing to pray even when your crisis has passed is like a sealing process, helping your soul hold tight to its good attainments."

    - Elizabeth Gilbert

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fabulous quote. I am saving it! Don't you love getting that dose of Daily Love. I love that website. Thanks for the encouragement. That is so true! Happiness is a personal effort never thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete