The title of this post has nothing to do with the lifestyle of living off the earth's resources in the most efficient, resourceful, and green way. It does, however have everything to do with a lifestyle that I am gradually trying to adopt. The lifestyle that I am talking about is more about living more consciously and seeing things through a more realistic lens.
In the recent weeks, I have made some significant shifts in how I approach and view things in my everyday hustle bustle.Any endeavor that I have attempted and/or any changes (big or small) that I have made I have asked myself the question, " Is this sustainable?" I don't know how that habit originated but it is one that has helped me keep things into perspective and really think about the choices that I make especially in terms of goal setting and living.
How many times have I, you, we made declarations to ourselves like I WILL NEVER EAT SUGAR AGAIN or I AM GOING TO EXERCISE 7 DAYS A WEEK 4 HOURS A DAY or I AM GOING TO READ THE WHOLE QURAN, BIBLE, and TORAH EVERY MONTH FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE or I AM GOING TO PRAY ALL DAY EVERYDAY WITH ONLY BREAKS FOR BATHROOM AND EATING or something else equally outrageous and unrealistic? I know I am guilty. LOL.
What I have realized is that the frustration that comes with goal setting or making those declarations is not from being unable to achieve them but it's the insanity in making a declaration that was unrealistic and unreasonable in the first place! I think that much of those goals/declarations originate from a place of hurt, insecurities, shame, disappointment, hopelessness, desperation, and so much more. Those origins create enough fuel to create that superman/superwoman ambition which quickly burns out when we realize that we are humans and not a fictional character. Then we get mad at ourselves thinking that we f*ed up again....and of course the cycle continues.
So I am guessing I got tired of the cycle and decided to shift the origins of my declaration/goal setting. In asking myself whether what I was choosing to do was sustainable, it made me also think about the importance of maintaining that action over a long period of time. It makes me think about what I want to nurture and what is most important to me and what is the most fruitful for my mind, body, and spirit. The simple question of "Is this sustainable?"created many AHA moments. For some reason, this question brought the things that matter to me most, my most fundamental needs to the forefront of my mind. It makes me think about why what I am doing matters and why it will benefit me when looking at the big picture.
I think I will continue the practice of asking myself that question. Try it the next time you decide to do something that requires consistent effort over a long period of time....think....
Is this sustainable? I'd love to know if it helps you too. :)
Have an awesome weekend!!!
Oh by the way a quick update on my health regimen...
Week 1 - Started changes to my diet. Only eating seafood, fruit, and veggies.
Week 2 - Followed the same eating habits. Added exercise. Made it to the gym 4 times. Walk/Jogged. Total of 13 miles
Week 3 - (This week) - Made it to the gym 4 times. Walked/Jogged. Total of 15 miles
POUNDS LOST after 3 weeks ----- (Drum Roll Please!) 14LBS!!!!!!!!! And several inches. I didn't take measurements but I can tell.
GO ME! Alhamdulillah! (Praises to Allah!!) Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment